DRC issues global arrest warrant for opposition leader Katumbi

Moise_Katumbi
Moise Katumbi

The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has issued an international arrest warrant for opposition leader Moise Katumbi, who has been in self-imposed exile since 2016.

Justice Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba said on that the warrant by the DRC’s attorney general was issued to several African and European countries.

“He must be arrested where he is found,” he said.

Katumbi tried to enter DRC from Zambia before the August 8 deadline to register as a candidate for December’s presidential election, but he was denied entry.

Mwamba said Katumbi engaged in a “political show” in trying to return.

The wealthy businessman had originally planned to fly from South Africa to Lubumbashi, the capital of Katanga province.

But the city’s mayor said that Katumbi was refused entry, while the public prosecutor’s office said the opposition leader had been charged with “harming the state’s domestic and external security” and would be immediately arrested if he returned.

In a tweet sent out earlier in August after being barred entry, Katumbi said he would “fight” what he called an attempt to “withdraw from Congolese their right to real elections”.